Bespoke bungalow redevelopment for an adult with complex learning disabilities.
We were approached by a specialist housing association to help them provide a life time home for an adult with complex learning disabilities who lived in Plymouth. He had been housed in unsuitable accommodation for several years and this was seriously affecting his wellbeing. Location was important as he needed to be close to family and his care team. He has 24 hour live in carers and there were many adaptations required to create a safe home for him.
We liaised with his care team, social worker, the Local Authority and family members (as he was not able to advocate for himself) to ensure we understood what was needed. With support of our great builders we developed Number 70 as a bespoke home for him.
We purchased this 1940’s two bedroomed bungalow which was in need of updating.
- We converted the integrated garage into a carer’s suite, with separate front door access, ensuite toilet, sleeping area.
- The property required a complete rewire and all light fittings were converted to flush ceiling LED lights.
- The tired bathroom was converted to a safe and secure wet room.
- The kitchen was replaced with new safe handle-less kitchen units, the kitchen wall was moved to create wider safe access, safety override switch was fitted to cooker.
- All floorings were replaced with uniform safe flooring throughout.
- Fully redecorated.
- All radiators were covered with flush reinforced radiator covers.
- All windows were replaced with strengthened glass windows.
- Velcro curtains were fitted.
- Garden was made level and safe and privacy ensured by fitting new fencing around.
We have created a home for life for a vulnerable person who is reported to be happy and settled in his new home.
This property has been taken on a 5-year lease by a specialist housing association who will cover gas boiler servicing, fire/smoke alarm servicing, all bills, and the ‘heavier wear and tear’ damages. We have a long term tenant and an almost ‘hands-off’ investment.
LARGER SUPPORTED LIVING PROJECTS
We have some exciting new projects in the pipeline, we look forward to telling you about these here soon.